Wednesday, August 01, 2012

August Appreciations

This past weekend, Unity and I went camping. We were with the current batch of QuEST interns who are finishing up their year of service and community. I may not have mentioned it before, but this is the program that brought me to Seattle and set me on my path. I'm now on the board and I'm really loving the chance to work with the current interns and reflect on that tumultous exciting time.

I don't actually have any pictures from our camping trip. I was just soaking up being in the woods for a few days. But hanging out with the interns and listening to their stories of job searches and housing searches and moving plans....all these transitions, all these new directions. Well, it reminded me that three out of the four of us in our little family are also facing some transitions, and soon. One starting Kindergarten. One starting preschool. And one Mama who is not quite sure what she's going to do with herself.

It's an odd feeling, knowing that big changes are coming but having them be around the corner still. The days are full of half preparation and half enjoying the way things are right now. So this month, as often as I can, I'm going to try and list some August Appreciations. Small things that we are thankful for at this time of lengthened sun and blooming, this moment just before the big one.

Today I'm thankful for:
1. Our newly cleaned and reorganized basement closet. I really should have a before picture but trust that it was a dirty basement closet full of strange and moldy things.


2. Our attempts at making our own food, even when they are not always successful, we learn from them and it's fun.


3. The QuEST program, for giving young adults a chance to live in community and simplicity and service for 20 years now. 20 years! (Also for giving me my first human services job, an introduction to Seattle, and one of my best friends.)

4. My Zumba teacher, who has a day job, and comes to the Y every Tuesday night with the biggest goofiest smile on her face and inspires us to work our padelkas off. No matter how I am feeling, when I walk out of her class I always have the biggest exhausted smile on my face.



2 comments:

mama cindy said...

Love it all and the fact that you are appreciating living in the moment.

oma said...

i appreciate that you're doing some appreciating. hearing what other people are grateful for helps me remember to spend a little time feeling grateful, too. thank you.