Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Gearing up



So in less than a week I'm going to be starting National Novel Writing Month.  For those who don't know, you commit to writing 50 thousand words in a month. I did it last year and it was great. Hard of course, but a good reminder that I can find room for creativity in my life if I prioritize it. I'm excited and also, I know that certain other things are going to have to take a step back for a month. I'll read less books. I'll knit less. I'll watch fewer movies with Chris in the evenings. I might be blogging less, we'll see.

Have you heard that story about the jar of rocks? It's a common one at college orientations. The empty jar stands for your life, or your time. The big rocks stand for your values and your big priorities- the things you want to look back on and be proud of. The small rocks are all the little time wasters and guilty pleasures and errands that eat up the day. The idea is that you have to put the big rocks in first, and the small ones will find the cracks. But if you fill up the jar with the small rocks there won't be room for the big ones and you find yourself ignoring what means most.

So. The writing is important and I'm trying to clear out some of the little rocks to make room for it, while still managing to feed my family and other details like that. Cross your fingers for me, it's a wild ride.

2 comments:

mama cindy said...

It's a thoughtful and impressive undertaking. Good luck!

Baby By The Sea said...

Love this. Wow. Fingers crossed for your inspiration and constant creative flow. Cool idea.