Thursday, February 06, 2014

In which I talk about clothes

I was never really the girl who liked dressing up. In fact there were many times in my childhood when I was mistaken for a boy due to my short hair and scruffy jeans.

Honestly, not much has really changed. Ok, I don't get mistaken for a boy anymore, but the short hair and scruffy jeans lasted for pretty much all of my twenties. I've been lucky to fall into a couple of punkish grunge subcultures where people wore clothes from the Salvation Army or the back of our dad's closets, or things we found in the free bin.

After having been mistaken for the nanny a few times when out with my kids, I decided that, halfway through my thirties, maybe I should stop dressing like a college student quite so much.

I had no real idea where to start. I sort of know what I like and I'm trying to learn more about dressing for my body type, but I hate shopping. I really just don't enjoy it. I started wishing that I had a fairy godmother friend who would just come over and bring me clothes that fit and were appealing to me without me having to leave my house.

I had friends like that in college, who made a sort of project of dressing me up and doing my makeup before we went to parties. It was great, I totally needed the help and it seemed to be fun for all involved. But, the slumber party is over and although I'm sure Unity would love to dress me up in tutus I'm not sure that's what I'm going for right now.

Enter Stitch Fix.

Which is basically the fairy godmother friend I wanted.

You go online, fill out a profile and send them your sizes and explain a little about your lifestyle.
For example, I don't need fancy work clothes or dangling jewelry. Each time you order a box, you pay a $20 styling fee. The stylist choose five items and sends them to you. You pick what you want to keep and send the rest back.

So, here's what I got: (a note on prices- all of these clothes cost more than I usually spend on clothes. But I almost never buy clothes and when I do it's at Target or Goodwill. So I have no idea if this is typical or not. You can choose your price range on Stitch Fix and maybe next time I'll see what they come up with in the lower range. But, I'm probably not going to do this very often and it's fun just to see what's out there.)

First Item:
Colorblocked Dress.




I really like these colors, and I don't mind the colorblocking, but this dress just fit oddly. It was kind of baggy and it just didn't seem very flattering.
Not a keeper.


Items two and three. Graphic print Henley Blouse and Rizzo Skinny Ponte Pants.


I loved these. Oh my goodness. The pants are so comfy and great and as soon as I saw the blouse, I was into it. It's very silky and fun. These were totally what I was looking for, a little step up from my jeans and hoodies, but not too fancy for running the kids around town.

Keeping both. 

Item three.
Duncan Floral Print Blouse.


I'm on the fence on this one. Chris said I looked like a member of Aerosmith and I don't think he meant it as a compliment. It's different, and I like the color and the pattern. Just not 100% sure, which probably means it should go back.


Hmmm.


Last item: Striped Sweatshirt. 




This one is super cozy and comfy. If I found it at Goodwill, I would be all in. But if I am going to spend $68 on one shirt, I don't think it should be a sweatshirt. 

It's going back. 

All in all, I had fun with Stitch Fix and I could see myself using it maybe a couple of times a year, just to get new ideas or shake things up a bit. I think my stylist did a good job finding things that fit me and my current lifestyle. 


They do have a referal program, so if you want to try it out, and use my link, I get a $25 credit. So, there's that. 

6 comments:

oma said...

polly, i loved reading about your clothing journey. :) your favorite outfit is mine, too. i think we need to schedule a play date so you can show it off.

PKJ said...

Yes, let's hang out. new clothes optional.

grandma ann said...

What a good idea! I like the outfit you chose and slso think the "Areosmith" blouse looks nice.too.

mama cindy said...

You haven't liked shopping from our very first outing to buy school clothes when you were in kindergarten! Glad you came across this service. And thanks for modeling for us. What fun!

Grandma Bette said...

I so enjoyed your modeling pics and agree with your decisions. What fun having clothes sent to you according to your "own persona" I'll keep watching.

xine said...

Dresses must have pockets! Moms carry a lot of stuff!