Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mama's in Olympia



Yesterday I got to attend Quaker Lobby Day with Friends Committee on Washington Public Policy.
I wasn't sure I'd be able to go because the kids didn't have school and Chris was planning on working but a very kind woman from my Meeting offered to babysit so I could go and then Chris ended up taking a half-day so it all worked out.

It was interesting (and a little frustrating) to learn more about the political process and how things get done (or don't.) I had a lot of interesting conversations with Quakers and legislators and aides about the death penalty and background checks for gun sales and health care and creating a state-owned bank. Some things I know a fair bit about and some things I am just learning about but it was great to be in the presence of all these amazing people thinking and talking and writing and advocating for Quaker values in our political process.

I'm thankful that I got to go and I'm thankful for the community that helped make that happen, both at home and in Olympia. The changes that we long for may not happen this year, but we are committed to doing the work and coming back to it year after year, in Olympia and in our schools and homes and communities. Doing the work. There is something satisfying in that.

No comments: