Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Breakfast

We went out to breakfast last Friday, just Unity and me. You have to have pancakes on a day off, right?


I'm leading a school tour tomorrow for prospective parents. I remember it well from last year, trying to gather as much information as I could, feeling overwhelmed with choices and trying to navigate a complex system. I'm so glad with how it turned out, so happy with our school and so double-triple-quadruple glad to be done with the process. 


One of the things I really like about our school is that there's no such thing as "normal." I was thinking about this the other day walking home, that when a school's population is about one third African immigrant, one third African-American and the rest White and Asian and a few Latina/Latino kids- there is just such a wide range. It's amazing. There's no such thing as a normal name, or a normal family or a normal lunch. And so that spectrum of culture and heritage and language and everything else- that is the normal for these kids. 

I think there is an innate value in learning how to relate to people who are different in some way or another from one's self. It's a skill that is so useful in later life. It's not always easy, of course, and there are places where we can't connect or don't want to. But the trying and the reaching. It's so important. 

No comments: